Friday, March 1, 2013

On Learning

Topic: Learning, Programming

Learning: noun the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught.

This post is for all those struggling, fledgling programmers out there worried about their lack of experience.

Throughout my years as a programmer (which are still minimal compared to my greater peers), I cannot say that I learned many computer languages. At this time, I wouldn't be able to program myself out of a C++ paper bag, Perl sounds like something you put on a necklace, and I still have no idea how to Python myself a program.

With keeping this in mind, what is my worth, I ask you, as a programmer?

To the untrained eye, my economic worth would be quite low; my lack of skills and experience would perhaps make me cheaper than an experienced developer, but my contribution would obviously not be as high.

Let us deviate a little for a moment. One person once said that willingness and desire to learn are the true qualifications for a person. In short, in this extremely interesting article Matt Gemmell discusses the subject of learning and problem solving, and argues that the worth of a software developer (or of any domain really) is in how much that person is willing to learn something new.

Let's get back to the subject at hand; the economic worth of an inexperienced programmer. If we believe what Mr. Gemmell says, then the worth of a person (in a professional environment) is directly related to their willingness and desire to learn. Notice how I didn't mention anything about the number of languages someone speaks, or the number of years of experience they have.

I guess my message would be to everyone worried about their lack of experience in any domain to grow and cultivate a desire to learn new things. It is quite easy to learn in school, when you are forced to do so, but it is significantly harder once you graduate and leave academia. At that moment, your personal growth becomes your entire responsibility, and sadly many people use that as an excuse to stop bettering themselves. But as long as you manifest a desire to learn and to grow, you will notice an exponential growth in your own abilities.

After all, we only stop to learn once we think we know everything.

Stay frosty,
Snowman

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post. This is how I approach my learning and in pains me when I think we are not all driven this way.
    Keep up that supportive attitude, (Snow)man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is, in my opinion, the most basic way to learn, and I think it can benefit anyone to think that way :)

    ReplyDelete